December 06, 2005


Whenever I visit Emily's school, the kids excitedly tell me how funny she is. More than anything, Emily wants to become a Tiger-Trainer when she grows up. And probably a Scientist because they seem to know everything. And live in China because of the architecture. She's doing well, but, it's not like being a grade oner hasn't offered it's share of drama, yeah already. Hate it. What do I do? My many questions led me to google for some insight and I found this article written by someone who wanted to uncover the reasons he was unable to find the social status he craved in high school. It's kind of unrelated, and I don't see many similarities between his school and the ones I've attended (I went to 4 different highschools!). But the reasons behind his message that school is BS, in numerous ways, make it a worthwhile read if you're interested.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW, ANG THAT WAS DEFINATELY A WORTHWHILE READ !!!
SO MANY TRUTHS IN THERE. HIGH SCHOOL IS NOT ALWAYS A GOOD EXPERIENCE FOR ALL KIDS..
I OFTEN WORRY ABOUT THE SHIT BRYAN HAS TO DEAL WITH IN HIGH SCHOOL.
I SHOULD SEND YOU RECENT PIC OF BRYAN. STEVE WOULD BE SO PROUD OF HIM. BRYAN'S HAIR IS NOW SHOULDER LENGHT. WHICH I FINALLY ACCEPTED BUT, THEN HE WENT AND DYED THEM.
NICE COLOR ON SOMEONE ELSE'S KIDS HEAD. BUT, I WILL GET OVER THAT TOO. IF THESE ARE THE WORSE THINGS HE CAN DO THEN SO BE IT RIGHT ?
LOVE AUNT DARLENE

Jeremy said...

It so grieves me to think of school beating the creativity, curiosity and joy out of Ivy next year. I agree entirely with Paul Graham's indictment. I first read his stuff after discovering the graduation speech he never delivered -- powerful stuff, methinks.

That photo is outrageous. Seriously, it gives me goosebumps.

Ang said...

Aunt Darlene-I'm really happy that you read it. Nice to get some feedback from someone with a kid who's presently going through the fire. Please send a pic because I can't even fathom Bryan being in highschool, nevermind Robyn running about in the "real" world.

Ang said...

Thanks Jer,
I really like what he said under the heading "Curiosity".
The photo is a bit haunting if you ask me.

Jeremy said...

Yes, definitely haunting. The blue-ish glow of the aluminum and the glass reflecting trees, the rivets making the bus look armoured, the way she's hanging onto that bar with her mitts on, and an expression that could be bliss or agony.

Ok, maybe I'm being a little melodramatic, but it's a powerful photo.

Ang said...

Wow, love your analysis!
It's terribly dark out when Emily catches the bus. We should take one when the bus brings her home- the sun seems to shine brightest at that exact moment of each day. We'll see if that makes it a tad less eerie to see Emily trapped inside the great orange monster!

Blog Archive