I just spent the last 3 weeks slowly savoring the novel "A Complicated Kindness" by Miriam Toews. After years of friends urging me to read it, it finally occurred to me that Powell River's library could lend it to me for free. If you feel like getting in touch with the aloneness, destructiveness and grief you experienced as a teenager, and you think your small (minded) town may have had something to do with your teenage misery, i recommend. Sounds self-indulgent, but maybe it can show you how far you've come despite a shaky beginning (or how your daughter might feel someday).
I've actually finished 4 1/2 books in 2006:
Taming of the Tiger
Life of Pi
Something Blue
The Spiral Garden-1/2 finished, will continue.
A Complicated Kindness
If I was a good blogger I'd provide some links to amazon, maybe later-I hear Tommy waking up and it's time to enjoy the sunny day that's now streaming through the windows causing the contents of my screen to vanish.
April 05, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2006
(136)
-
▼
April
(10)
- Steve is my hero and my hero is Steve.
- Steve and I were caught up in a conversation when ...
- Video time!Get ready for this...the baby can dance.
- After school today, Steve and Emily took off for M...
- Video Technology:Tommy hollars "Baa Baa" at these ...
- The 24 hour Emily and Cheyenne marathon commenced ...
- On Saturday, they turned the house upsidedown and ...
- Tommy started saying "hi", well, mostly "i" and it...
- Last Sunday, Emily and I had the bowling alley to...
- I just spent the last 3 weeks slowly savoring the ...
-
▼
April
(10)
5 comments:
Something Blue is on my list. I think in total Ive read like 5 books(not including ones with pictures). I get so bored if the first chapter sucks.
There's no blood or gore, but i'm pretty sure you'll get into Something Blue. It's light, cool, fun and probably the first romance I've read since highschool.
Read Memoirs of a Geisha. Must read book before seeing movie. The book was good! Movie was ok!
Struggling reading Blue Like Jazz.
Suggest Memoirs of a Geisha.
Aunt Rose
Thanks for the heads up. Another friend said the same thing and I'll try my best.
I sure had lots of daughter thoughts reading that book, knowing that our girls will consider us quirky and backwards, and probably think this small town is Nowhereville. I'll be their Ray, well-meaning but clueless, quietly disconnected from reality.
Post a Comment