
My grandma is more wonderful than I can take sometimes. I always tell her she's my favorite grandma and every time she has a good laugh reminding me that she's my only grandma. At my request, she made us blueberry perogies, schmontfatt, and the farmer sausage pictured here.
17 comments:
Blueberry perogies? What delight is this? Blueberries on top, or actually inside the perogies? I must know!
Guess you'll have to come to Powell River to find out!!! Yep, we're back on that, hee hee.
Mmmmmmmm... blueberry perogies. You could make them with your handy-dandy Hunky Bills perogy maker! :) Hahahahahaha!
okay jer, i'm a jerk. The blueberries and juice go on the inside. You cover them with salted 18% cream thats been heated and mixed in a vat of salty farmer sausage drippings. The sweet berries and salty garlicy gravy would bring a tear to your eye. Serious menno-delight. Heather, have you tried them?
GRANDMA WOULD BE SO PLEASED TO SEE A PIC OF HER ON YOUR BLOG !
SHE WAS DOWN YESTERDAY FOR HER "REGULAR MOVIE AFTERNOON IN WINKLER."
I SHOWED HER THE PICS ON YOUR BLOG AND THIS ONE WASN'T UP THEN.
SHE WILL BE TICKLED PINK TO SEE HERSELF ON YOUR BLOG.
BLUE BERRY PEROGIES ARE THE BEST. LOW CALORIE COUNT WITH THE SCHMOAT FAT RIGHT ?
LOVE AUNT DARLENE
Your grandma looks SO HAPPY!
By the way - your blog has more comments on it than any other blog on the entire world wide web. I'm certain of this.
MEE TOO LESA
MEE TOO LESA
No, you're not a jerk.
That sounds oh-so-disturbingly-good.
Reminds me of the time a couple of years ago when I found out the secret to my grandma's amazing flat pancakes. I've been making them forever, but they're always kind of doughy and bland and I couldn't figure out why they were so mediocre. So I paid close attention the last time I was there on a trip, and found out that she fries pounds of bacon first, saves the grease, and ladles in a hearty dollop for EVERY pancake.
It would have been better not to know.
You got it all wrong people. They are not called perogies. They are called 'wareneki.' It is only for the non-menonnite that they are called perogies. And the best in the world are not the blue berries kind but the kind filled with cottage cheese, served with a rich creamery butter sauce and a big slice of fried ham. Can you hear your arteries clogging already. No wonder southern Manitoba was known as the heart attack capital of Canada. Rich foods. Sorry just adding my two cents.
PS Loved the picture.
Aunt Rose
Okay, Aunt Darlene, is it actually spelled Schmoat fat?
Aunt Rose, is it spelled vereniki or with a W?
And finally, did i spell Kumst Borscht correctly?
I'm so excited that Grandma looks at my blog! You've GOTTA type a comment from her!
In the German language, the "w" is pronounced with a "v" sound, like warum, Weinuchsten, wereniki, und das wetter.
Cream is "schmondt", the "d" is silent.
And lastly, it's "komst borscht" and the "komst" is cabbage if my first language serves me correctly. It's hard to believe English is my second language, but every once in a while I re-read my blogs and it is confirmed: I barely know English at all!
k, you guys are making me drool and VERY homesick! I NEED vereniki with cottage cheese, and a side of farmer sausage! It's my mom's specialty!
I'm hungry for Farmer Sausage ( has to be Winkler Farmer Sausage) and schmoat fat and waraneki. Any one tried gooseberry wareneki?? It's great.
These people in Ontario think the potatoe and cheese perogies are good --no clue. Could I have watermelon and rukken (?? sp) for dessert?? PLease.
What a treat that would be.
Mom
My favorite is overcooked farmer sausage (saltier that way), smothered in schmondt fat and thrown in a buttered whiter than white homemade bun. I forget what homemade buns taste like :(
I alays had though warenki was spelt differently but I checked it out in the Mennonite cookbook. Read all those comments after about the other foods now I want a good old fashioned mennonite meal.
Here are some other words - wanna guess what they rae
Zwieback (favorite straight out of the oven so the butter would melt) - also good with jam)
Kielke (with a cream sauce)
Roll Kuchen (of course with watermelon)
Plumi Moos (can serve it hot or cold)
Ruehrei (great with sugar sprinkled on top).
Your Grandma made all of these. In the days I had a good metabolism and could eat it. And it didn't affect my cholesterol level.
Ok now I am hungry and totally regressing away from the picture.
I LOVE IT - it is something you can keep as a great memory of Grandma. Blueberries and all!!!
Love Aunt Rose
NOT SURE ABOUT THE SPELLING ANG ?
SOUNDS LIKE EVERYONE HAS A PRETTY GOOD IDEA OF WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT !
LOVE AUNT DARLENE
Post a Comment