January 24, 2006










Yummy yummy Siamin Soup....
I usually tag along when Steve and Em bloat up on this fish broth with raimen noodle soup, famed mostly among the locals. We used to have to go to a real dive to get it. The House of Siamin, where you knew that you had to check your soup for cockroaches before partaking. But the elderly couple running it were so eccentric and grumpy, the decor so tasteless, that going for Siamin easily became a favorite Maui tradition. These past few years we've been staying at another end of the island and we get to go to a brand new Siamin restaurant-that's actually open when it says it's going to be open. Unfortunately, I've never really been into the taste of the broth (or lack thereof). Steve's always quietly shuddered at my lack of respect for the soup of ancient Hawaii. But this year I did right by him. It took me this long to discover that they actually offer little sides to throw into the soup to give it some zip. Now I can't get enough of it, as long as there's a bottle of tabasco or some Kim Chee (Bok Choy sitting in a bowl of hot sauce) to zap it with. We kept returning to the funny little cafe for more of the delicious bloatation device.
Steve was one of the first customers to beautify the walls with his dollar when they opened a few years ago.

9 comments:

Krystle said...

Your pictures are great. I also couldn't help but notice your hair....IN PIGTAILS..yay, soon it will be one, and we can play hairdresser, just like we never used to when we were growing up

Ang said...

HA HA HA

Elizabeth said...

Coasting has a new look! So does your hair!

I LOVE IT!!!!!

Elizabeth said...

PS. Am I fired for forgetting Tommy turned one on the 13th?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOM! AUNTIE LESA IS REALLY A GOOD PERSON!

Ang said...

Am I fired for wearing my hair in an ugly ponytail 99% of the time?

Heather said...

Um... I can't keep up with this "fired" thing, but I still haven't really given Siamin a good shot yet.

Jeremy said...

Great shots -- tons of character on display. I can't believe the size of Steve's bowl of soup.

Ang said...

Next time Heather!
Thnx Jer. That XL bowl goes a long way. He shares with Em for lunch, and always brings back enough for 1 more meal (first pic). The noodles are so thick, you actually get full after 5 bites-but of course you won't admit it and you keep eating and it's painful to stand afterwards. Well, you've been to Maui, you know the routine.

Jeremy said...

HA haha...yes, I remember it all too well. I averaged ten pounds of weight gain every year on that trip, and one year was closer to 15. That just can't be healthy, but man it was fun.